June 9 – Northern Ireland at D Day

4. – The fourth in a series about NI people on D Day. Richard Keegan from Lurgan served with 2nd Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles who were addressed by General Sir Bernard Montgomery from the bonnet of a jeep, after carrying out an inspection of the battalion near Portsmouth in the run-up to D-Day.


Richard Keegan served with 2nd Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles during World War Two.
He was born in Lisnaskea, Co. Fermanagh but spent all his adult life in Lurgan, Co. Armagh. He had moved throughout the province as a child as his police officer father was posted from station to station.

When war broke out in September 1939, he was sixteen years old. He took “a wee notion” to join the army only to be rebuked by his father. Keegan Senior, a sergeant in the Royal Ulster Constabulary, insisted they would refuse him for being too young. Undeterred, Richard applied two years later, aged 18, in 1941 and enlisted with the Royal Ulster Rifles.

He was first stationed at the Low Camp at St Patrick’s Barracks, Ballymena, Co. Antrim. After a rigorous six-week induction, he transferred to Palace Barracks and joined the 70th Battalion of The Rifles.

The 70th Battalion took part in limited active service during the Belfast Blitz. Superiors took the decision to disband the battalion in late 1942. Richard along with others such as Billy Moore joined the 2nd Battalion and training began in earnest.

Preparing for D-Day

During the following year, physical fitness and discipline were training priorities. They rehearsed sea landings, assault courses and undertook mountaineering and ammunition training. As well as the physical aspect, the men were also prepared mentally for the situation in Europe and the effects of battle.

The men of the Royal Ulster Rifles were aware they were part of something big but rumours in April 1944 indicated they were bound for North Africa. By May, they were on their way to Droxford, Hampshire to join up with around two and a half million other men assembling for Operation Overlord.

Even at Droxford, the men were unaware of their final mission. At one stage, Keegan found himself in a tent with the setup laid out showing part of a European coastline.

Richard knew it would be France or Spain but that was the most information he or his comrades had.

The Rifles Are Here

Richard Keegan took part in the D-Day Landings on 6th June 1944 dodging machine-gun fire on Sword Beach. Along with comrades in D Company, 18th Platoon, he began the Normandy campaign.

They had been aboard their landing craft on 3rd June ready to invade but the well documented bad weather put paid to plans. Richard recalled the palpable tension, the fired-up atmosphere and the fear on board as they crossed the channel.

The Royal Ulster Rifles disembarked on Sword Beach loaded down with equipment, ammunition, radios and a bicycle. Larger men like Richard helped keep the smaller men above the swelling water that soaked them all through.

German machine-gun fire rained down on the beachhead as they made their way up the sand. Engineers and commandos had cleared the path of mines going ahead of the landing troops. At the top of the promenade, Richard came upon a row of fishermen’s houses.

Following their commander, Keegan and his men worked through narrow streets to an assembly point code-named The Orchard. From there, the next stop was The Farm, a rural house secluded by trees several miles inland. They dug in there for the night knowing their beachhead was more or less secured.

The Royal Ulster Rifles’ codename for Caen was “Belfast”. A commanding officer had assured Richard Keegan that he would be in Belfast by the time the sun set on D-Day. Estimates suggested the men on Sword and Juno beaches would take Caen by the end of the first day. Circumstances and conditions on the day meant that most were several miles off.

The Battle at Cambes Wood

At dawn on 7th June 1944, his platoon fought towards Cambes Wood taking shelter in cornfields. It was at Cambes where Keegan saw his friend Jimmy Pedlaw, with whom he enlisted, taken down by German shrapnel. Pedlaw had left his trench to have a smoke and caught shrapnel in the neck. Keegan was amongst those who thought Pedlaw was dead but he would recover and rejoin the battalion. Snipers and shrapnel from shells caused most of the injuries to Keegan’s battalion.

Such incidents did not hold up D Company. Richard and a few other men cycled to the outskirts of the woods, dumping their bikes before venturing into the cornfields. Rifleman Keegan was platoon runner and a wireless operator. With equipment soaked in the landings, his wireless was useless and it was left next to a water tower along with the army issue bike.

Pinned down in Cambes

All the while, German shells continued to rain down. As machine guns fired up the middle of roads Keegan and the men sheltered in ditches. Anti-personnel mines hung from trees and other mines dotted the roads and fields. The action ended when the German bombardment killed commanding officer Major John Aldworth. He had been leading his men from the front.

Richard Keegan’s platoon officer asked him to inform Captain Montgomery of Aldworth’s death. The platoon were pinned down and the only option was to pull back.
Keegan made two trips through Cambes Wood to relay the message and response. The Rifles decided to pull back to Anisy and naively to leave their injured to the care of the German forces.

Patrols were sent forth on the 8th June and the following day, A Company under the command of Stanley reached Cambes. There, they found all the wounded men of B Company had been shot in the head by German troops.

On 9th June 1944, the Royal Ulster Rifles came under attack again at Cambes Wood. Only 150 yards from the edge of the woods, heavy shelling pinned The Rifles back again. An 88mm shell landed near Richard Keegan injuring his side and foot. That was the end of his involvement in the Battle of Normandy.

Richard Keegan’s War Ends

Stretcher-bearers carried Keegan back across the cornfield. They were also injured and after improvised first aid, they all made it back to the medical post. From there, Rifleman Keegan was brought to a field hospital and shipped back to a Canadian hospital in the south of England. Further treatment in Wakefield and Dewsbury in the north of England followed for further treatment on his foot.

Richard had several broken bones and ruptured ligaments. He was reassigned to 7th Battalion while in hospital receiving treatment and physiotherapy.

After regaining full health, he pled to rejoin The Rifles but his requests were refused. Instead, he joined the Royal Signals Corps. He provided vital backup support for the rest of the conflict from 50th Division Headquarters. Richard regretted not being able to rejoin the Battle of Normandy but acknowledged that his early injury may have saved his life.

The return to civilian life

In 1946, Richard Keegan returned to civilian life and spent a short time as a coal delivery man. After this, he was trained in the lenses department of an optical firm. Eventually, he would work there, become a charge hand and serve as Branch Secretary of the Amalgamated Engineering Union.

While working at the optical firm. he met a colleague Renée. They were married in 1949. They had two sons, Richard and Billy, four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
In later life, he also worked as a postman, trained as a fitter and worked in Lurgan Hospital until his retirement. Outside of work, he was a warden at both St John’s and Shankill Parish churches in Lurgan.

The return to Normandy

Keegan made several trips back to Normandy. These included the 60th anniversary in 2004 and again in 2005 when he returned with his son Billy.

In 2004, he attended a parade in Arromanches with 1,000 other veterans. A small group of Royal Ulster Rifles veterans travelled together from Lisburn. Richard Keegan was joined by Councillor Ned Falloon, John Walsh, Archie Mitchell, Billy Donald, and Stanley Burrows. This international commemoration was attended by The Queen, George W Bush, Vladimir Putin, Jacques Chirac, and Gerhard Schroeder. This marked the first time a German Chancellor had attended D-Day commemorations.

Richard Keegan was one who bore the Germans no ill will:
I came back to Normandy once and met a German soldier. It turned out he had fought in the same areas as me. I told him that we had probably shot at each other and that it was a good job we had missed.

Keegan met up with comrades from the Royal Ulster Rifles at Douvres War Cemetery before the dedication of a British Memorial Garden in Caen. There, they met with Prince Charles who unveiled a replica Horsa Glider like those used by 1st Battalion on 6th June 1944.

Remembering Richard Keegan

At the end of the commemoration in Caen, the band of the Royal Irish Regiment struck up Killaloe, their regimental march. Richard and the other veterans of the Royal Ulster Rifles involvement in Normandy were left with their thoughts.

He said, “We were all ordinary fellas. Some farmers, some unemployed like myself. Fellas from down South, Derry, Belfast and all over Northern Ireland. They were all heroes… all heroes.”
Richard Keegan died on Tuesday 27th August 2013 aged 89. His funeral service took place at 1400 hrs on Friday 30th August in Shankill Parish Church in Lurgan, Co. Armagh.


IWM – Photo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.